Quick to:

What to do in the event of groundwater nuisance

  • Check the crawl space for subsidence, snapped or leaking pipes.
  • If you notice a sewer odour, there is likely to be a problem with the sewage system. The best thing to do is contact a sewer company.
  • Check that the rainwater drain is not damaged or subsided, otherwise water may enter the crawl space.
  • Also make sure that water around your house does not get in.
  • If there is water in your basement, it is advisable to make it waterproof. A construction company will be able to help you with this.
  • Ask the neighbours if they are also facing this problem.

When to call in the local authority

If you cannot solve the problem yourself, you can contact the local authority via a Report on the home, work and living environment. The local authority will assess the local situation.

Who is Responsible?

If you are experiencing damp or leaks in your home or property, the owner of the building will need to do something about it. The building owner may lay a waterproof floor or repair the basement. If that does not help, contact the local authority for assistance.

Do you have any questions?

For more information about sewers and urban water management, contact Stichting Rioned.


Laws and regulations

The following laws can be found on the website Overheid.nl (national):

  • Buildings Decree 2012
  • Water Act

The following regulations can be found on the website Overheid.nl (local):

  • Local Sewer Plan (2019-2022)