Quick to:

What happens after the appointment

A judge pronounces the divorce. This ruling is on an official court order.

Within 6 months, the court’s ruling must be registered with the civil registry of the local authority where you got married. Usually, your lawyer will arrange this. You can also report the divorce yourself.

Haven’t done this within 6 months? In that case, the ruling no longer applies.

What to take to the appointment

If you file your own report at the town hall, please bring the following to the appointment:

  • Written application to register the divorce in the civil registry.
  • Copy of divorce decree from the court.
  • Statement by the court clerk that no appeal has been filed.
  • Deeds of acceptance of yourself and your former partner.

Arranging a divorce online

More information can be found on the Legal Aid Board website.


Reporting a divorce is free of charge.