Quick to:

When is a usage notification required?

  • If there are more than 50 people in the property at the same time. Or more than 150 people if it concerns an office or industrial function.
  • If there is a room-by-room rental with 5 or more residential units.
  • If more than 10 people sleep in a hotel or healthcare institution.
  • If there are more than 10 people under the age of 12 in your building during the day.
  • If there are more than 10 physically or mentally disabled people in your building during the day.
  • If it concerns an apartment where care is provided.

Existing permit or User notification no longer current?

In that case, request a new Usage Report. For example if:

  • there are more persons in the property at the same time than indicated in the existing notification or permit;
  • users are less able to manage themselves than before;
  • new users are less familiar with the building, or;
  • fire safety equipment is removed. This could involve an escape door being closed off, for example.

You are responsible in person for the fire-safe use of your structure. The rules regarding the use of structures are set out in the Buildings and Living Environment Decree. The rules for submitting usage notifications are set out in the Living Environment Construction Works Decree § 6.1.2. In article 6.8 you will find a list of what must be included in the drawing. You will find this under the heading Legislation and regulations.

General fire safety information

Information and leaflets on fire safety can be found at the website of the fire brigade.

Some examples:

  • How do you make your home fire-safe?
  • How do you ensure fire safety when doing odd jobs?
  • How do you go on holiday without compromising fire safety?
  • How do you prevent fire?
  • How do you deal with a fire?
  • Party decorations
  • Gas (carbon monoxide)
  • Fire cage
  • Smoke detectors in existing homes

Questions or need help?

For questions, more information or to know whether you need to report, go to the Procedure for applying or reporting an environmental permit page. When applying under ‘activities’, look for the following form: Construction work fire-safe use – Notification (national government).


Free of charge.

Laws and regulations

The following law can be found on the website Overheid.nl (national):

  • Building Works Decree living environment.