In the City of Leeuwarden there are various options for placing advertisements in the public space. The permit check of the online Environment desk (OLO), shows whether you need an environmental permit or not.
Façade advertising, roof advertising and objects on private property
You need an environmental permit to place advertising on a building or to place separate (advertising) objects on your site (such as nameplates and flags). What you must comply with is stated in the advertising policy “Eye for Advertising”.
No permit is required for displays at stores, institutions and tourist attractions if certain criteria are met. These can be found in the “Regulations for displays in Leeuwarden”.
Advertising on public land (operators)
In the City of Leeuwarden you can run advertising campaigns in many ways and have business referrals placed. The municipality has given various (advertising) operators the right to place (advertising) objects in public space. You can contact these operators for your advertising campaigns. Placing objects in public space yourself is not allowed.
- Showcases: billboards for national advertising, size 8m2
- bus shelters: advertising in bus stops, intended for national advertising
- Mupis: advertising panels of 2 m2 intended for national advertising. Combined with city maps
- Advertising displays on light poles (high): illuminated objects with references to companies and institutions in Leeuwarden
- Sandwich displays on light poles (A0): primarily for announcing local events, with cultural events taking precedence over commercial events.
- Panels on VRI boxes: panels intended for cultural campaigns have been placed on control boxes at traffic lights
Public poster pillars
Individuals, cultural institutions and other non-profit institutions can place announcements on these pillars by means of playbills or posters.
- The part below the edge of the pillars may be covered with posters.
- Intended for communications from individuals, cultural institutions and non-profit organizations (no commercial advertising).
- Please take each other into account and do not hang posters on top of other posters.
- Don’t hang unlimited posters.
- Only stick posters on the poster pillars, hanging them anywhere else is prohibited.
- Discriminatory and racist slogans are not allowed.
- Do not remove the foil.
- Shopping centre Camminghaburen
- Shopping centre Bilgaard
- Shopping centre Nijlân
- Shopping centre Cambuurplein
- Rengerslaan (in planning)
Outdoor advertising on gullies, tiles, street/play furniture, etc.
Requests for these forms of advertising are consistently rejected, except for modest attributions of sponsors of charities or public facilities.
Industrial signage is not formally an advertisement, but a public facility. Because this signage has much in common with the subject of advertising, this subject has been included in the advertising policy “Eye for Advertising”.
An industrial signage system is present at various business parks in the City of Leeuwarden. If that is the case, you cannot set up your own signage boards, but you must use the unified signage system.
If there is no industrial signage on your business park and you would like to install it, you will need an environmental permit.
Do you have any questions?
- A facade advertising permit costs €146.23 per advertisement with a maximum per application of €438.85.
- An aesthetics committee opinion costs at least €57.92. The exact costs are given in the General Charges Bylaw.
- Distribution refund is payable for advertising objects that project more than 50 centimetres beyond the facade line.
Laws and regulations
- Advertising policy “Eye for Advertising”.
- Rules displays Leeuwarden
You can view the laws and regulations of the City of Leeuwarden via the national facility Overheid.nl.