Quick to:

Applying for school transport

Complete the following application forms by 1 June of the new school year. If you apply later, you may have to arrange your own transport until we have processed your application.

Send the school’s advice to the City of Leeuwarden. You can also hand it in at the Town Hall.

When will you hear more?

We will contact you once we have received your application. You will receive our decision within eight weeks.

Are you unwilling or unable to apply online?

Download the School transport application form. Send the form by post to the City of Leeuwarden. You can also hand it in at the Town Hall.

What are the conditions?

  • Your child lives in the municipality of Leeuwarden.
  • Your child’s school is: a regular primary school, a special school for primary education, special education, secondary education or special secondary education.
  • Your child attends the school closest to your home.
  • Is your child going to primary school? Then you are only entitled to compensation under the following conditions:
    • Is it primary education or special primary education? The distance between your home and the school is six kilometres or more.
    • Special education or ‘clusteronderwijs’ (category-based education) The distance between your home and the school is three kilometres or more.
  • Your child attends secondary (or special secondary) education and has a disability that prevents them from travelling independently.
  • Your child has a disability, can travel independently to secondary special education, but the school is further than 20 kilometres from your home.


There are allowances for a bicycle, public transport or private transport, for example. We assume the costs of public transport or transport by bicycle. If this is not possible, you may be entitled to transport by taxi bus. This is adapted transport.

Your child cannot cycle independently or use public transport due to disability or age.

You may be eligible for an allowance for accompanied transport. As a parent, carer or guardian, you are responsible for having your child accompanied. Even if you work.

Is your child unable to cycle under supervision or travel by public transport due to the disability?

You may be entitled to transport by taxi bus.

Important information about your application

  • You will need to apply for the school transport scheme each school year.
  • We base the amount of the allowance on the school closest to your home and most appropriate for your child.
  • The type of reimbursement you receive depends on your child’s age and medical condition.