Applying for a benefit
Do you not have enough money to live on? Apply for (additional) welfare benefits. The local authority will check whether you are entitled to welfare benefits. We decide how much benefit you will receive.
You can use a computer free of charge in the reading room of the Town Hall.
When to apply for a benefit
You can apply for a benefit if your income goes down or stops. Do you have more income than the benefit amount that applies to your situation? If so, you will not receive a supplement.
The amount you receive
You will find the amounts in the Standard amounts under the Participation Act .
What we take into consideration
For the amount of the benefit, we consider:
- your domestic situation
- other income
- a contribution from parents or a former partner. You find more information under Social assistance recovery payment.
The rules for receiving benefits
You must take part in jobseeker activities. If you do not actively participate, we may reduce your benefit.
If anything changes in your living situation or your income, you must report it to the local authority. You will find more information on the page ‘Report changes to social security benefits’ (in Dutch only).
- This video tells you all about applying for a social benefit for people aged from 18 to 27.
- This video tells you all about applying for a social benefit for people aged 27 and above.
- Eligibility for welfare benefits More information is provided on the website of the Rijksoverheid.
- Are you incurring special costs that you cannot afford? Are you unable to ask neighbours, family members or friends for help? And is there no other scheme you can use and you have no money of your own? In that case, you can apply for special social assistance. You will find more information on the page Bijzondere bijstand (special benefits).
- Are you on a low income and are you struggling with your monthly expenses? You may be able to receive an allowance for various costs. You will find more information on the page Schemes for extra benefits (in Dutch only).