Quick to:

Why we ask for a social assistance recovery payment?

People receive benefits only if they do not have enough money to cover their cost of living. These are costs such as food and drink, clothing, rent, gas, water, electricity, health insurance and children’s study costs.
Spouses and registered partners are required by law to support each other. This is called the maintenance obligation. This maintenance obligation remains in place following a divorce. The parents’ maintenance obligation also applies to recognised children up to 21 years of age.

How the social assistance recovery payment is calculated

The local authority operates nationwide rules to calculate your social assistance recovery payment.
The local authority does this by examining your income and expenditure. The local authority will ask you to complete the ‘recovery’ form or the ‘Recovery young minors’ form.. After the investigation, you will receive a letter. This states the amount you have to pay and how you pay it.

Maintenance and the social assistance recovery payment

Do you pay maintenance? If so, the local authority will include this in the calculation of the recovery contribution. Have you not yet arranged the maintenance? In that case the local authority can force your ex-partner to claim maintenance through the courts.

Had your situation or income changed?

If so, contact the City of Leeuwarden and ask for an adjustment to the recovery contribution. You can also do this by completing the form below. We use this information to recalculate your recovery payment.

Form for the social assistance recovery payment for a former partner.

  • Online: Complete online Recovery form. You will need DigiD for this.
  • In writing: Download and complete the form Verhaal PDF. Send the form to the City of Leeuwarden. You can also hand it in at the Town Hall.

Form for the social assistance recovery payment for a young minor child:

What if you do not pay the established recovery contribution?

In that case, the local authority will refer the matter to court. Legal Debt Recovery proceedings will be initiated. The court will decide on your recovery payment. The local authority may also impose an attachment on your income. An attachment costs money. You pay these costs yourself.

Avoid having the local authority attach your income.

Contact the City of Leeuwarden to make an appointment about your payment of the social assistance recovery payment.

More information and assistance

Contact the City of Leeuwarden.