Quick to:

What are the conditions?

You can apply for an alien’s passport if you meet at least four of the following conditions:

  • You can demonstrate that you cannot obtain a passport from your home country, or that you are a refugee but do not have refugee status. (Not required if only you have the nationality of Liberia, Sierra Leone, Somalia or Guinea).
  • You have a valid residence permit (document type I, II or V).
  • You are registered or have a correspondence address in Leeuwarden.
  • Your identity has been verified.

What do you need to take with you to the Town Hall?

  • Your residence permit.
  • All identity documents and passports you have. Even if they have expired
  • A passport photo that is no more than 6 months old at the time of application and that meets the requirements.
  • The interview (1st and further hearing) of the IND.
  • Documentary evidence that you cannot obtain a travel document from another country.
  • Means of payment. You can pay for the application by cash or debit card.

Are you under the age of 18?

If someone under the age of 18 is applying, the permission of all authorities is required. One parent or guardian must accompany the application. You can request permission via the online form Declaration of consent for minor children or the document Declaration of consent for minor children (PDF, 442.13 KB). If you choose to complete the document, you must also bring a copy of your ID.

How long does it take?

It takes two to four months for your alien’s passport to be prepared. That is because the IND is involved in deciding on your application. The local authority will let you know when you can collect the alien’s passport. You can only collect your alien’s passport in person.


An alien’s passport is valid for a maximum of five years. The passport is valid in all countries except your country of nationality.

Travelling with your children

Children should always carry their own passport or identity card when traveling abroad. Some countries ask for a certificate stating that the adult travelling with the child is genuinely the parent or custodian. Check with the embassy or consulate of the country you want to go to. You will find information about checks at the Dutch border at the website Nederland wereldwijd.

Have you lost your ID card or has it been stolen?

Report this as soon as possible online to the public authority. This is necessary to prevent misuse. We will invalidate your document as soon as we receive this report. That means that you will no longer be able to use it you relocate it. You will need to hand it in to the local authority.

Unwilling or unable to report the loss online?

In that case, make an appointment with the local authority. You complete a declaration of loss at the counter of the town hall. We will check your identity. Once we have done that, you can apply for your new document immediately. It is no longer necessary to report the loss to the police.

Having an alien’s passport delivered

You can have an alien’s passport delivered to your home or place of work.


Each country has its own rules for foreign nationals visiting the country. A valid Dutch passport is sufficient in some cases. However, you may also need a visa.

Do you want to know if you need a visa for the country you want to go to?

You can read more information on the website the Rijksoverheid.

Do you want to apply for a visa?

You can apply for a visa at organisations like the ANWB (The Royal Dutch Tourist Association).


Type of travel document Amount
Passport and Business Passport (over the age of 18) € 83.80
Passport and Business Passport (under the age of 18) € 63.40
ID card (over the age of 18) € 75.80
ID card (under the age of 18) € 40.90
Travel document for refugees/aliens € 63.40
Urgent applications € 57.00 extra
Having travel documents delivered € 3.50