Quick to:

What you will need to take with you to the Town Hall?

  • All identity documents and passports you have. Even if they have expired.
  • A passport photo that meets the requirements set out in the following document:
  • Means of payment. You can pay for the ID card in cash or by debit card.
  • Are you applying for an identity card for your child or children as a parent?
    • If so, bring your children with you to the Town Hall. You must also take your child with you when you collect the passport.

Have you lost your ID card or has it been stolen?

Report this as soon as possible online to the public authority. This is necessary to prevent misuse. We will invalidate your ID card as soon as we receive this report. That means that you will no longer be able to use it you relocate it. You will need to hand it in to the local authority.

Unwilling or unable to report the loss online?

In that case, make an appointment with the local authority. You will be asked to complete a lost property document form at the Town Hall. We will check your identity. Once we have done that, you can apply for your new document immediately. It is no longer necessary to report the loss to the police.

Travelling with your children

Children should always carry their own passport or identity card when traveling abroad.

Some countries ask for a certificate stating that the adult travelling with the child is genuinely the parent or custodian. Check with the embassy or consulate of the country you want to go to. You will find information about checks at the Dutch border at the website of the Rijksoverheid (central government).

Under the age of 12

Come to the Town Hall yourself. You can apply for your identity card in person at the counter. You need the permission of each person responsible for you. Usually these are your parents. The following points are important to arrange permission and apply for your ID card:

  • The people responsible for you come with you to the Town Hall to apply for your identity card.
  • Are there two people responsible and one of them cannot make the appointment? In that case, bring the following completed and signed form on their behalf:

For how long is an identity card valid?

  • A new adult identity card is valid for 10 years.
  • A new ID card for children and people under the age of 18 is valid for five years.

In which countries is an identity card valid?

An identity card is not valid in all countries. You will find a comprehensive list of countries on the website of the Rijksoverheid (central government). You will need a passport for the countries not listed.

Don't want to make an appointment?

You can also come to the Town Hall without making an appointment at the following times:

  • Monday from 1.30 pm to 4.00 pm.
  • Tuesday from 8.30 am to midday.
  • Wednesday from 1.40 pm to 4 pm.
  • Thursday from 8.30 am to midday.
  • Friday from 8.30 am to midday.


Each country has its own rules for foreign nationals visiting the country. In some cases, a valid Dutch passport or ID card is sufficient. However, you may also need a visa.

Do you want to know if you need a visa for the country you want to go to?

You will find more information on the website Nederland Wereldwijd.

Do you want to apply for a visa?

You can apply for a visa at organisations like the ANWB (The Royal Dutch Tourist Association).

Having an ID card delivered

You can have an ID card delivered to your home or your place of work.

Dutch ID card with DigiD login function

Since 4 January 2021, the Dutch identity card has featured a login function for DigiD. Have you activated this function? If so, you can log in to the DigiD app with your identity card. Your DigiD allows you to log in to government, education, healthcare and pension fund websites.

You will find more information at the website of DigiD.