Quick to:

You will need a ‘birth certificate (stillborn)’

Is there no certificate yet or you are not sure? Only the municipality where your baby was born can produce a certificate. If you do not know if there is a certificate, we or another local authority must find out for you.

Was your baby born in Leeuwarden?

Contact the City of Leeuwarden.

Do you live in the City of Leeuwarden, but your child was born in another municipality?

If so, contact that other municipality.

Do you live in the City of Leeuwarden but your child was born abroad?

Contact the City of Leeuwarden.

What do you need to take with you to the appointment?

Documents showing that your baby was stillborn. For example:

  • A statement from a doctor, hospital or midwife.
  • An announcement notice or information about the funeral or cremation.
  • A valid proof of identity of yourself (passport, ID card or driving licence).
  • Possibly your marriage certificate so that your child can be recorded in it.

Do you not have this information? Contact the City of Leeuwarden.

What happens after registration?

After registration, your child will be added to your summary of personal details. You will be given this summary. Your child is also listed with your details when you log in to MijnOverheid.nl. It may take up to 2 or 3 days after registration before you see this. We do not pass on the registration to other organisations that use the BRP. That means your health insurance, the Tax Administration or the Social Insurance Bank will not be notified.

How long does it take for your child to be registered?

This varies from one situation to another. Sometimes we can enter your child in the BRP immediately during the appointment. For example, if you bring the ‘birth certificate (stillborn)’ to the appointment, or if the certificate is already in our system. Do you not have the certificate or do you not know if a certificate was drawn up at the time? Then we will find this out for you. This may take a few days or weeks. If your baby was born in another municipality, you need to bear in mind that municipality’s processing time.

Important to know

  • You are not obliged to have your child added to your personal data. You can decide whether you want this.
  • This choice is personal. You make a request for yourself to add your child to your personal data. Does the other parent want this too? If so, the other parent must also make a request themselves. This can only be done in person at the Town Hall. Not by post or e-mail.
  • You can always change your mind.
  • Were you not living in the Netherlands? And were you not registered in the Netherlands when your baby was born? In that case, you cannot register your child in the BRP.
  • Have you not lived in the Netherlands since October 1, 1994? In that case, you cannot register your child in the BRP. Your personal data will then not be in the BRP. That is why we cannot add your child to the register.
  • It makes no difference whether your child was stillborn after a pregnancy of more or less than 24 weeks.
  • You can have your child’s first and last names included in the certificate. The certificate also contains the names of you and your partner.
  • You can also have your child entered in your wedding certificate.

More information or contact the City of Leeuwarden

Contact the City of Leeuwarden, or go to the central government website.


  • The drawing-up of a certificate is free of charge.
  • Registering your child in the Key Register of Persons (BRP) is free of charge.
  • A copy of the certificate costs € 16.60.
  • After registration you are give an extract from the Key Register of Persons (BRP) free of charge. If you apply for the extract at a later date, you are charged a fee of € 16.60.